Agnes Jamieson Gallery
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery is named in honour after Dr. Agnes Jamieson. Operating since 1981, the AJG is entrusted to preserve and present the life, work and ongoing legacy of André Lapine ARCA (1866-1952) and to exhibit work by local and regional visual artists.
The AJG works to develop opportunities for meaningful connections to contemporary and historical art through exhibitions, education and programming.
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery is a Recommender for the OAC Exhibit Assistance Program for Zone 4
The Agnes Jamieson Gallery collection includes over one hundred works by André Lapine (1866-1952), one of Canada’s foremost artist. Born in Russia (in the area that is now Latvia), Lapine trained with Professor Rose from the Imperial Acadamie of Petrograd. He gained further training in Paris and then traveled to through France, where he reported to have painted nearly fifty commissioned portraits, and ended in Holland. Here he was accepted into a prestigious group, St. Lucius Society, by Piet Mondrian. In 1901 he married and the couple immigrated to Canada in 1905 to northern Manitoba; working the land for one year. After this they went to Toronto, where Lapine quickly became a leading artist. He worked for Brigden’s Ltd. where he was known for his ability to render lace and fur for images in the Eaton’s catalogue. In 1909 Lapine was accepted into the Ontario Society of Artists and in 1919 to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. Lapine’s paintings were very popular. He was described in the media as the best illustrator of horses in North America. He was society’s “Gentle Cavalier” and was part of the centennial exhibition to the Tate in London England as well as having his work accepted into a number of public art galleries across Canada.
He visited Minden as many of the well-known artists of the day did. Frank Welch, the town Reeve, was friends with Lapine, taking care of him in his final year. Welch acquired 42 of Lapine’s paintings during this time, which he bequeathed to the town of Minden. Dr. Jamieson knew this was a wonderful opportunity for the community and working with volunteers and keen determination, ensured a public gallery was created to properly house and showcase this collection.
2018 Gallery Programming