Carbon Monoxide

NEW – Mandatory Carbon Monoxide Alarms in Your Home

November 1st is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

The Ontario government has passed a law, which came into effect on October 15, 2014, that requires a working carbon monoxide alarm in your home, specifically, outside all sleeping areas, if you have a fireplace, any fuel-burning appliance, or an attached garage.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous and very dangerous gas because you can’t smell or taste it. The symptoms of CO poisoning are gradual, you may start to feel ill and tired. If you are already asleep, you would simply just not wake up.

Any appliance or device that runs on fuel, including propane and wood, can produce this deadly gas. Vehicles running in an attached garage with the door between it and the home left open, or if there is any breach in the wall between the two areas will also allow Carbon Monoxide to enter your home.

Helpful Fact Sheets:

There are a variety of carbon monoxide alarms on the market, including some that are combined with smoke detectors, such as ones that plug into the wall, are battery-operated that can be installed on the ceiling, similar to a smoke alarm or combination alarms that will detect smoke and carbon monoxide.

Regardless of what model you choose, please remember that carbon monoxide alarms, like smoke detectors, need to be replaced regularly.


The new law, Bill 77 – The Hawkins-Gignac Act, is named in honour of a southern Ontario family. All four family members — two parents and two children — died of CO poisoning in their home in 2008.