Garbage and Recycling

COVID-19 Impacts on Landfill Operations

Landfill and Transfer Station Info

Landfill Cards ("Dump Cards")

If you are not a New Property Owner, and have not received the last mail out (blue card), or if you've lost or damaged your landfill card:
Please call the Public Works department at 705-286-3144 to obtain a replacement card. Please note, the Public Works department issues cards to existing, registered property owners only. New property owners, please contact the Finance and Tax Department. New owners, see below.

If you are a New Property Owner who has not received your landfill card:
Please call the Finance and Tax Department at 705-286-1260, x 502 to confirm that your ownership change information has been received by the Township, as landfill cards are included in a welcome package provided to new property owners.

What to Expect


Waste sites are out in the elements. They can be muddy in the spring and fall, snowy and icy in the winter and dusty and hot in the summer. Please wear close-toed footwear (like boots or running shoes) when attending the site.

The terrain can be uneven. Please watch your step and ensure you have clear sightlines if carrying objects.

Landfill sites attract bears. Bears may seem fun to watch, but they view the landfill as their food source. If you see a bear at the landfill site, do not approach it or walk towards it. Bears may see you as a threat to their food source and may attack you. And on that note…

Loitering is prohibited. Even though waste sites may seem like a fun place to bird watch, bear watch or catch up with neighbours, for your safety we ask that the sites only be used to dispose of waste. Stay in the marked areas, attend only to deposit waste and recycling and please exit the site as soon as you are done disposing of your waste to make room for someone else.

Use at Your Own Risk

The Township of Minden Hills makes every effort to ensure landfill sites and transfer stations are safe for residents to use, however the Township is not responsible for injury or damage to vehicles caused by use of the sites.

Site Locations

Scotch Line

2038 Scotch Line Road


1674 Ingoldsby Road

Iron Mine

1100 Iron Mine Road

*access to Iron Mine Road is from Davis Lake Road, Iron Mine Road east of the waste site is not maintained.

Little Gull

1611 Deep Bay Road

Regular Hours of Operation

October 1 to April 30

Site S M T W T F S
Scotch Line Landfill 9-5 9-5 9-5 9-5 9-5 9-5
Ingoldsby Transfer Station 12-5 12-5 12-5
Little Gull Transfer Station 10-4 10-4
Iron Mine Transfer Station 10-4 10-4

May 1 to September 30

Site S M T W T F S
Scotch Line Landfill 9-8 9-6 9-6 9-6 9-6 9-6
Ingoldsby Transfer Station 12-7 12-7 12-7 12-7 12-7
Little Gull Transfer Station 12-8 8-4 1-5
Iron Mine Transfer Station 12-8 1-5 8-4 1-5
Holiday Monday Hours of Operation

October 1 to April 30

Site                    Holiday Monday
Scotch Line Landfill 9-5
Ingoldsby Transfer Station 12-6
Little Gull Transfer Station 12-6
Iron Mine Transfer Station 12-6

May 1 to September 30

Site Holiday Monday
Scotch Line Landfill 9-8
Ingoldsby Transfer Station 12-7
Little Gull Transfer Station 12-6
Iron Mine Transfer Station 12-6
Accepted Materials

Scotch Line

  • Household Garbage (in clear bags)
  • Blue Box Recycling
  • Electronics
  • Construction & Demolition Waste
  • Leaves
  • Scrap Metal
  • Propane Tanks
  • Freon Appliances
  • Non-Freon Appliances
  • Tires
  • Some Hazardous Waste Types


  • Household Garbage (in clear bags)
  • Blue Box Recycling
  • Brush
  • Scrap Metal

Iron Mine

  • Household Garbage (in clear bags)
  • Blue Box Recycling
  • Brush (currently not being accepted - Summer 2020)
  • Scrap Metal

Little Gull

  • Household Garbage (in clear bags)
  • Blue Box Recycling
  • Scrap Metal
Items Not Accepted

Tipping Fees

2020 Tipping Fees
Items with No Fees
Category Examples Fee
Appliances Stove, Washer, Dryer, Tagged Freon Appliances No Charge
Cardboard Corrugated cardboard, up to 0.3m3 No Charge
Electronics TV, Computer, Phone, Monitor No Charge
Garbage Bags 3 clear bags per week, sorted No Charge
Leaves Leaves, grass clippings, pine needles No Charge, Scotch Line Only
Oil Tanks Must be empty and cut in half or contain 2’ x 2’ hole No Charge
Propane Tanks Accepted at Scotch Line Only No Charge
Tires Car tires, truck tires: max 4 per load No Charge


Items With Fees
Category Examples Fee
Boats Motorized boats, canoes, paddle boats $8 per foot
Boat Wrap Not accepted Not accepted
Brush Branches, brush

Brush over 3” diameter not accepted.

$30 per cubic yard

Min $15 fee

Cardboard Corrugated cardboard only (not boxboard), compacted or un-compacted. 0.30 m³ - 2.3 m³: $10.20/m³

Greater than 2.3m³ not accepted.

CFC Appliances Fridge, Air Conditioner $50 if untagged
Commercial Waste Sorted materials deposited in diversion programs $25 per cubic yard
Commercial Waste Unsorted compactor loads, dump trailer loads $50 per cubic yard
Construction Waste Sorted loads of construction material separated from waste and recycling $40 per cubic yard
Construction Waste Unsorted loads of construction material containing waste and recycling $80 per cubic yard
Furniture Couches, Recliners $10 per item
Garbage Bags Exceeding 3 bag per week limit $2 per bag
Garbage Bags Unsorted or over 6% recycling $3 per bag
Loose Waste Sorted Sorted: unrecyclable plastics, garbage $35 per cubic yard
Loose Waste Unsorted Garbage mixed with unrecyclable plastics or construction material $50 per cubic yard
Mattresses Mattresses, Box Springs $30 per unit
Shingles Asphalt Shingles $50 per cubic yard
Why Do We Charge Tipping Fees?

Managing waste is very expensive. There are financial and environmental impacts to landfilling wastes and to removing waste from site to be recycled somewhere else. Charging tipping fees helps recover those costs so that the cost is not applied to your property tax. This way, the person who creates the waste pays for the cost to manage it.



The Township of Minden Hills offers residents a “two-stream” Blue Box Recycling Program. This means that your Blue Box Recyclables must be sorted into two categories: paper (fibres) and containers.

If you are unsure what materials belong in which stream, feel free to ask a Waste Site Attendant.

  • Milk and juice cartons
  • Empty drinking boxes
  • Aluminum cans
  • Clean aluminum foil trays
  • Empty/dry paint cans (less than 4L)
  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Frozen juice cans
  • Plastic food containers (1-7)
  • Plastic beverage containers (1-7)
  • Plastic personal care product containers (1-7)
  • Yogurt containers
  • Clamshell food trays
  • Glass bottles and jars (coloured and clear)
  • Take-out cup lids
Paper (Fibres)
  • Corrugated Cardboard
  • Boxboard
  • Phone books and catalogues
  • Magazines
  • Junk mail
  • Wrapping paper (foil/shiny wrapping paper is not recyclable)
  • Office paper
  • Envelopes
  • Paperback books
  • Cereal boxes
  • Paper egg cartons
  • Paper towel and toilet paper rolls
  • Empty paper cups
  • Empty cigarette packages/trays
  • Styrofoam packages and trays
  • Plastic bags (shopping, bread, milk)
Tricky Items

Take-out Coffee Cups are recyclable in Minden Hills! Take-out coffee cups go in your paper (fibre) stream. Remove the lid and place in the container stream.

Styrofoam (food grade) is recyclable in Minden Hills! Styrofoam should be bundled into a grocery bag and then goes in your paper (fibre) stream. Make sure it is rinsed and that the plastic and the absorbent pad is removed!

Plastic bags are recyclable in Minden Hills! Check to see if they are stretchy. If they stretch, place them in your paper (fibre) stream. If they are crinkly and don’t stretch, place them in the garbage.


Clear Bag Program

Like many communities in Ontario, the Township of Minden Hills requires residents to use clear garbage bags for disposing of waste. This allows our site attendants to perform a quick check to make sure that your bag doesn’t contain hazardous waste or recyclables. This system helps us identify where our residents need help accessing our recycling programs and provide you with information and assistance in diverting waste from landfill.

What Should Be in Your Garbage
  • Tissue paper, paper towel and single-use wipes
  • Plastic wrap, waxed paper and zipper seal bags
  • Absorbent pads from meat trays
  • Broken glass, dishes and old plastic food storage containers
  • Food scraps
  • Plastic cutlery and dirty disposable plates
  • Single-use coffee pods (even if they say recyclable)
  • Chip bags, cheese wrappers and drink pouches
  • Granola bar wrappers and candy wrappers
  • Used feminine hygiene products and diapers
  • Cat litter, puppy pads and poop and scoop bags

Hazardous Waste

Event Days


Minden Hills Household Hazardous Waste Event Schedule

Date Time


Saturday May 29 8:00am – 2:00pm S.G. Nesbitt Arena
Friday June 25 9:00am – 3:00pm Minden Fair Grounds
Saturday June 26 8:00am – 11:30am Scotch Line Landfill
Saturday September 11 8:00am – 11:30am Scotch Line Landfill
Saturday October 9 8:00am – 11:30am Scotch Line Landfill

Important Information About Accepted Materials

For safety, and to comply with transport safety laws, materials dropped off at hazardous waste event days must meet the following requirements:

Material Requirements for Acceptance
Adhesives Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Aerosols Must contain fluid (place empty ones in your Blue Box)
Auto lubricants Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Compressed gas Valves must be in good condition, not leaking
Cement In powdered form only. Hardened cement is garbage.
Fertilizers Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Gasoline Must be in a CSA or DOT stamped container with a lid.

Your gas can is not returned to you

Household cleaners Must be in a sealed container, you must be able to identify the fluid contained within
Leaking or Broken Containers If your container is leaking or broken, please place it inside another sealed container and label the container. If it is safe to do so, you may transfer the fluid from the leaking container to a glass jar with a lid and label the contents.
Paints and Stains Lids must be on, may not contain PCBs
Paint thinner Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Pesticides Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Personal care products Medications, vitamins and sharps are not accepted. Please return to a pharmacy.
Photo chemicals Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Pool chemicals Must be in a sealed container that is not leaking.
Propane Valves must be in good condition, not leaking.

The following materials are not accepted. Please contact a hazardous waste management company to assist with disposal:

  • Biohazardous waste
    • Medical waste, sharps
  • PCBs
    • PCB paint, PCB ballasts
  • Explosives
    • Fireworks, dynamite
  • Ammunition (contact the OPP for disposal assistance)
    • Bullets, hand grenades
  • Radioactive material
Year-Round Limited Hazardous Waste Disposal

The Scotch Line Landfill accepts the following items year round from residential sources (homes) in small quantities year round:

The following can be placed in your Blue Box recycling:

  • Empty aerosol cans
  • Empty, dry paint cans
Medications and Needles

Medications and needles can be returned to your pharmacy. They are not accepted at Township waste sites.

Follow these links to find drop off locations for medication and needles:

Medication Take-Back Locations

Needle Take-Back Locations


Buy only what you need, use it all up, dispose of it safely.

Keep Yourself Safe
  • When storing, transporting and disposing of hazardous waste, ensure the following:
  • Ensure all containers are sealed and are not leaking.
  • Do not store flammable materials next to heat sources or in areas with poor ventilation.
  • When you place your hazardous waste in your vehicle, bring it immediately to a hazardous waste event, do not let it sit in your vehicle and heat up.
  • Ensure you know what all your items are. If you see labels starting to fade, write the chemical name on the container with tape and a permanent marker.
  • Wear gloves when handling hazardous waste.
  • Do not transport leaking containers of hazardous waste.

Leaf and Yard Waste

Leaves, Grass Clippings and Pine Needles

Leaves, grass clippings and pine needles are accepted at Scotch Line Landfill only.

  • No charge
  • Cannot be mixed with brush or garbage

Brush is accepted at Ingoldsby and Iron Mine waste sites.

  • Pieces must be 3” in diameter or smaller
  • Fee of $30 per cubic yard applies
  • A minimum fee of $15 applies for brush drop off

Construction and Demolition Waste

Accepted Materials

The following materials can be disposed of in the Construction/Demolition Waste drop-off program at Scotch Line Landfill:

  • Wood
  • Drywall
  • Doors
  • Windows
  • Trim
  • Ceiling tiles

If these items are sorted out from all other waste and recycling types, a $40 per cubic yard fee applies.

If waste and recycling is mixed in with these materials, an $80 per cubic yard fee applies.

Scrap Metal and Appliances


Freon Appliances

The following appliances contain Freon and can be brought to the Scotch Line Landfill.  A $50 tipping fee will apply unless a certified technician has removed the Freon and applied a tag to the unit.

  • Refrigerators
  • Freezers
  • Dehumidifiers
  • Air Conditioners
  • Water Coolers

Large Appliances

The following are considered scrap metal and are accepted at no charge.

  • Stoves/ovens
  • Washing Machines
  • Dryers
  • Dishwashers
  • Vent hoods
Scrap Metal

Scrap metal is accepted at all sites at no charge as long as items being dropped off do not contain Freon or fluids (e.g. gasoline, oil). Some examples of scrap metal include:

  • Metal doors
  • Metal patio furniture
  • Copper and cast iron pipes
  • Barbeques
  • Lawn mowers (emptied of fluids)
  • Filing cabinets
  • Burn Barrels (emptied of ash)


Scotch Line Reuse Centre

During the summer months, residents can drop off re-useable items at the Scotch Line Landfill Reuse Centre. If you wish to drop off an item at the reuse centre, please speak to the site attendant when you arrive.

Residents are welcome to take items from the reuse centre at no charge.


Charge Accounts

Contractors may apply for a tip fee charge account. Please visit 7 Milne Street, Minden to request a Charge Account Application.

Proof of Permit

Contractors may be asked to provide proof of building/renovation/demolition permit when disposing of construction waste at Scotch Line Landfill. Please visit for more information about building/renovation/demolition permits.

Proof of Address

Contractors will be asked to provide proof that the material being disposed of originated within the Township of Minden Hills. This is done using a Contractor Authorization Form.

Contractors performing work on behalf of residents of the Township must complete this form and have it signed by the homeowner as proof that the materials are generated within the Township boundaries. Contractors will not be permitted to dump materials at Scotch Line Landfill without presenting a completed form.

Note that the Township will contact property owners for confirmation that the material is sourced within the Township of Minden Hills and that the contractor is actively performing work on behalf of the property owner.

Cottage Rentals

Cottage Kits

If you rent out your cottage, make waste disposal easy for your guests. Pick up a cottage kit at 7 Milne Street, Minden.

The Cottage Kit contains helpful information for your guests, a clear bag for their garbage, two recycling bags and a one-time-use landfill pass.

Kits are $3 each or $25 for ten kits.

Education and Resources

Helpful Resources

Feel free to download our printable resources for use at home, at work or at your cottage. This section is updated regularly, check back often for new tools!

Illegal Activity


Access to sites is not permitted outside of supervised operating hours. Trespassing will be reported to the OPP and will be prosecuted.


Scavenging is prohibited at landfill sites by law. As this is theft, scavenging may be reported to the OPP and prosecuted.

Illegal Dumping

The following are considered illegal dumping:

  • Dumping waste at the gate
  • Dumping waste in locations on site where it is not permitted
  • Dumping hazardous waste in waste piles, waste bins or recycling bins

All of these activities are reported to the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks who have the authority to level fines.